FOR SALE by Realtor – The historic Bank of Alderson WV Building
REDUCED TO $162,000.00
FOR SALE by Realtor
The historic Bank of Alderson Building
100 Railroad Ave. Alderson, WV 24910
Wild & Wonderful Monroe County, WV
Contact Randy S. “Riverbend” Burdette 304-667-2897
To visit all of our listings at Foxfire Realty click on this link
Historic Bank of Alderson Building circa. 1898. This beautiful architecturally grand structure has been a mainstay in the town of Alderson since shortly after the mighty C & O RWY came to town. The bank was used by The First National Bank in Alderson until the 1970s. Since then it has been utilized for many types of business. The current owners Alderson Riverside LLC have remodeled the building and it is beautiful. Yes, the original walk-in vault which is on the main floor is still operational. The building sits gracefully on the corner of Railroad Ave. and South Monroe. The building is situated so that it offers lots of natural light on both levels of the building. The downstairs is currently occupied by a physician while the upstairs has professional offices.
ATTRIBUTES AND HIGHLIGHTS
- Recent remolding and updates
- Excellent business center possibilities
- Two stories
- Views of the Greenbrier River
- Walking distance to the historic depot and Amtrak service
- Total approx. sq. ft. 4400 (2200 per floor)
- 11 total rooms
- Central Heat and Air condition
- Large spacious rooms on both levels
- Original walk-in bank vault and is operational
- Multiple potential use building
- Lot size approx. 106 feet X 47 feet
- Stately brick and stone structure with period cornice and top of building embellishments
- Historic building tax credits might be available
- High visibility
- On the direct route of WV’s largest and best Independence Day celebration parade
- On the direct route of the annual Christmas parade
- Only step to City Hall and the Post Office
- FedEx and UPS delivery location
- Close to the Alderson EMS and Fire Department
- Bring your business to the friendly Town of Alderson “The Gem of The Hills”.
- Outstanding Victorian-era architectural construction
- Beautiful woodwork
- The parking lot is included (approx. 7 vehicles)
- Located on Route 3 aka Railroad Ave.
- Situated with a group of other historic structures and beautiful buildings – Alderson’s Store, The Woodson Prince warehouse, the pharmacy, the Alderson RR depot, the beautiful Old Victorian B & B, Town Hall, and the Alderson Memorial Bridge
- Convenient location to Camp Cupcake FPC at Alderson
Google Coordinates: (37.723791, -80.643231)
Address: 100 Railroad Ave. and 11 Railroad Ave. Alderson, WV 24910
Elevation Range: 1550.6 ft
Main level: 6 rooms on the 1st floor and 2 restrooms and walk-in bank vault – (2200 sq. ft. approx.)
2nd floor offers 5 offices, 2 restrooms, and plenty of closet/storage space (2200 sq. ft. approx.)
Total Square Footage for both floors approx. 4400
West Virginia is one of the states in the US that has two separate ownership titles: those being SURFACE RIGHTS and MINERAL RIGHTS. The mineral rights have not been searched, however, all rights the owner has will convey with the property. A mineral title search could be conducted by a title attorney at the same time when the surface title search is being conducted.
BOUNDARIES AND SURVEY
Property located on the corner of Railroad Ave. and South Monroe Street in Alderson, WV. The property is shown on Google to have multiple physical addresses. The current owners use 100 Railroad Ave. The address of 11 Railroad Ave. Alderson, WV will search on Google maps.
State Route 3 aka as Railroad Ave and South Monroe Street. Paved storefront parking is maintained by the Town of Alderson. This section of Route 3 aka Railroad Ave and South Monroe Street is maintained by the WVDOH.
Water: Town of Alderson
Sewer: Town of Alderson
Telephone: Frontier, Suddenlink and others
Internet: Frontier, Suddenlink, Countrymen Communications and cellular hot spots
Cellphone Coverage: Good
The town of Alderson has zoning. Monroe County does not currently have zoning and subdivision regulations. All prospective buyers should consult the County Commission and the Health Department for details regarding zoning, building codes, and installation of septic systems.
Information can be found at the county website: https://www.monroecountywv.net/
The Town of Alderson office may be reached at 304-445-2916 or via email at email@example.com Director of Zoning is Mr. Eric Duff.
PROPERTY TYPE/USE SUMMARY
The building was built in 1898 and has been used as a bank, a clothing store, restaurant, dental lab, apartment, ice cream parlor, accounting offices, and currently as a doctor’s office and professional office.
DEED and TAX INFORMATION
Deed Information: Deed Book 279 Page 399
Real Estate Tax ID/Acreage/Taxes:
Monroe County, West Virginia
Alderson Corp District 1
Tax Map 3 Parcel 11
2019 Real Estate Taxes: $1,157.10
The property is located on the Monroe County side of Alderson. Most students attend school in Greenbrier County. From additional information please contact the Monroe County Board of Education at 304-772-3094
Greenbrier County School District
Public Elementary School:
Ronceverte Elementary School
Public Middle School:
Eastern Greenbrier Middle School
Public High School:
Greenbrier East High School
New River Community and Technical College (Lewisburg campus)
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
Greenbrier Episcopal School (PK-8)
Greenbrier Valley Academy (2-8)
Lewisburg Baptist Academy (PK-12)
Renick Christian School (2-7)
Seneca Trail Christian Academy (PK-12)
The Town of Alderson, affectionately known as the “Gem of the Hills” is tucked away in the lush Greenbrier Valley of southern West Virginia. It is situated along the beautiful Greenbrier River and includes both Greenbrier and Monroe Counties.
In 1763, the nearby Muddy Creek settlements were destroyed by Shawnee Indians under Chief Cornstalk and it was not until 1777 that the town was settled by “Elder” John Alderson, a frontier missionary for whom the town was named. It was here he founded the first Baptist church in the Greenbrier Valley and later a Baptist seminary that was later moved north to become Alderson-Broaddus College at Philippi, WV.
The Federal Reformatory for Women, the first federal prison for women, was established here in 1927. The town is renowned for its annual Independence Day festival, which was acknowledged by West Virginia Living Magazine as the state’s “Best Independence Day Celebration” in 2012.
Alderson, WV, today is largely a residential community with retail establishments in its downtown historic district. These serve the many camps and vacation homes along the Greenbrier River and tourists visiting the surrounding countryside. Commerce and property values are increasing as a result of increased tourism and the sheer beauty of the river and surrounding farms. Alderson itself contains many fine homes from the turn of the 20th Century, many of which are in mint condition, never having been altered from their well-tended, original appearance.
The town of Alderson has been an active community for generations. Boasting the largest and most popular 4th of July day parade in the state is hosted by the Town of Alderson. Alderson’s amenities include churches, elementary school, motel, bank, Dollar General, Family Dollar, gas/convenience stores, medical clinic, pharmacy, and restaurants. Alderson is located along the Greenbrier River in Greenbrier County and Monroe County, incorporated in 1881. Alderson was originally settled in 1777 by “Elder” John Alderson, a frontier missionary for whom the town is named Alderson is also home to “Camp Cupcake”, the minimum-security federal prison where Martha Stewart spent her vacation.
Lewisburg, which is the Greenbrier County seat, was voted the Coolest Small Town in American and is just a 20-minute drive to the thriving downtown historic district. The downtown boasts a year-round live theatre, Carnegie Hall, a new $3MM library, several fabulous restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. There is also a modern hospital and all attendant medical facilities along with all the big box stores. Several new schools have been built in the area.
The Greenbrier County Airport, which has WV’s longest runway, is located just 25 minutes away and has daily flights to Chicago and Washington DC. The world-famous Greenbrier Resort is 25 minutes’ drive and Snowshoe Ski Resort is about 2 hours’ drive. Blacksburg, Virginia (Vtech) is about 90 minutes away, Roanoke, Virginia, is 120 minutes, DC is 4 hours, and Charlotte, North Carolina is 3.5 hours away.
Just 30 minutes to Sandstone Falls, Bluestone Lake, Bluestone State Park, and Pipestem Resort, the surrounding area offers unlimited soft recreational activities including white water rafting, golfing, fishing, camping, hiking, bird watching, and rock climbing. Snow skiing at the Winterplace Resort is less than an hour away. In 10 minutes, you can catch the Amtrak train in Alderson and ride to the Greenbrier Resort, Chicago, or New York City. Beckley Airport is just 45 minutes away. The new 10,000-acre Boy Scout high adventure camp is an hour’s drive and the 14,000-acre Wildlife Management Area is just across the river at Bull Falls.
THE GREENBRIER RIVER
The lower Greenbrier River possesses the excitement of life on one of the nation’s great wild rivers. The focus of a vast outdoor-recreation destination, it flows untamed out of the lofty Alleghenies, attracting anglers, paddlers, and naturalists from across the globe.
At 162 miles long, the Greenbrier is the longest undammed river left in the Eastern United States. It is primarily used for recreational pursuits and well known for its fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and floating opportunities. Its upper reaches flow through the Monongahela National Forest, and it is paralleled for 77 miles by the Greenbrier River Trail, a rail-trail that runs between the communities of Cass and North Caldwell.
It has always been a valuable water route, with many of the important cities in the watershed being established river ports. The river gives the receiving waters of the New River an estimated 30% of its water volume. Over three-fourths of the watershed is an extensive karstic (cavern system), which supports fine trout fishing, cave exploration, and recreation. Many important festivals and public events are held along the river throughout the watershed.
The Greenbrier is formed at Durbin in northern Pocahontas County by the confluence of the East Fork Greenbrier River and the West Fork Greenbrier River, both of which are short streams rising at elevations exceeding 3,300 feet and flowing for their entire lengths in northern Pocahontas County. From Durbin the Greenbrier flows generally south-southwest through Pocahontas, Greenbrier, and Summers Counties, past several communities including Cass, Marlinton, Hillsboro, Ronceverte, Fort Spring, Alderson, and Hinton, where it flows into the New River.
Along most of its course, the Greenbrier accommodated the celebrated Indian warpath known as the Seneca Trail (Great Indian Warpath). From the vicinity of present-day White Sulphur Springs, the Trail followed Anthony’s Creek down to the Greenbrier near the present Pocahontas-Greenbrier County line. It then ascended the River to the vicinity of Hillsboro and Droop Mountain and made its way through present Pocahontas County by way of future Marlinton, Indian Draft Run, and Edray.
THE NEW RIVER AND BLUESTONE LAKE
Nearby, in about a 25-minute drive to the New River and 2000-acre Bluestone Lake at Hinton. The New River is the second oldest river in the world, preceded only by the Nile; it is the oldest river in North America. The New River is unique because it begins in Blowing Rock, N.C. and flows north through Virginia into West Virginia. The Nile and Amazon are the only other major rivers that also flow north. Year after year, it produces more citation fish than any other warm water river in WV. Smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, crappie, catfish, sunfish, hybrid striped bass, and muskie are all common species of fish found in the New River and Bluestone Lake.
Bluestone Lake is over 2000 acres at the summer pool and is the state’s third-largest body of water. Great hunting and fishing opportunities abound at the 17,632-acre Bluestone Wildlife Area adjacent to the park and nearby Camp Creek State Forest.
Lewisburg, which is the Greenbrier County seat, was voted the Coolest Small Town in American and is just a 35-minute drive to the thriving downtown historic district. The downtown boasts a year-round live theatre, Carnegie Hall, a new $3MM library, several fabulous restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. There is also a modern hospital and all attendant medical facilities along with all the big box stores. Several new schools have been built in the area.
Randy S. Burdette, call or text 304.667.2897
1029 Washington Street E., Lewisburg, WV 24901
Richard Grist. Broker, Forester, Auctioneer.
Office phone 304-645-7674